Michael Philips is author of The Apple Grower, a definitive guide to growing organic apples holistically. Michael’s knowledge of fruit trees, orchard management, companion plants, and soil science has helped him to become well spring of information and inspiration for orchardists and backyard gardeners alike. He integrates the intuitive knowledge of our great-grandparents with the fruits of modern scientific research and innovation. Michael shares his breadth of wisdom woven through personal stories in a way of amplifying a passion and inspiration for growing fruit trees and ‘abetting Nature’s way’. Using the MA Center orchards, Michael will bring participants on an ecological journey that explores how we can create an optimal “forest-edge- ecosystem” perfect for fruit trees.
* Walking through the orchard season
* Moving beyond organic: The holistic approach
* Creating a diverse, healthy orchard ecosystem
* Managing understory plants, nutrients, and beneficial microorganisms.
* Using plant medicines and compost teas to boost tree immune resistance
* Evaluating strategies for the existing and new hillside orchards at the MA Center
* On site Apple Harvesting and Juicing