HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

What the heck? From Wikipedia:
Bokashi is a method of intensive composting. It can use an aerobic or anaerobic inoculation to produce the compost. Once a starter culture is made, it can be re-used, like yogurt culture. Since the popular introduction of effective microorganisms (EM), Bokashi is commonly made with only molasses, water, EM, and wheat bran.

However, Bokashi can be made by inoculating any organic matter with a variety of hosts of beneficial bacteria/microbes. This includes manures, spent mushroom compost, mushroom spores, worm-casting tea, forest soil tea, yeast, pickles, sake, miso, natto, wine and beer. Molasses feeds the microbial cultures as they inoculate the organic matter.

How to make your own Bokashi:

Making your own Bokashi starter (EM as it's called in the video)

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm - again - intrigued by this seemingly quick (and mysterious) method of using food scraps and building soil.

Views: 734

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting, I'd like to see the tutorial he mentioned maybe making about the EM. And is that just molasses you buy at the store. I've been saving the bran I sift from my hand-ground wheat and not knowing what to do with it all. It would be interesting to try once I've got enough saved up.

I did bokashi composting for two years.  It works as advertised and quite frankly I used the "tea" in a hose end sprayer on my garden regularly and had explosive growth and health for the garden!  I buried the fermented stuff in spots in the garden.   worth the time and effort..also dont bother with the EM nonsense.  Its cheap enough but i found a tutorial online somehwere that showed you how to do it with yogurt whey instead and I tried it and it smelled exactly the same as the EM stuff...I stopped because the garden was simply growing wild, no lie.. everything was just getting so hard to keep track of (mostly perennials, got tired of digging and splitting)

I bought the kit for like 60 bucks to get started because I could not find of source of the pail.  DO NOT do the two pails on top of each other thing you'll see on the web, too easy for bad stuff to get in there (insects molds etc)  The pail has a fitted plastic grate that sits about 2" above the spigot on the bottom and collects the tea!

I even bought a 50 lb. bag of wheat bran and fermented my own bokashi!  then dired it in the sun in the summer and had it for the two years I composted that way.  I still have my bucket and I stare at it guiltily maybe this year I go back to doing it again.  The nice thing is ANYTHING goes into it.. just put enough of the bokashi over it..  When its full dig a hole and bury it...

Joe, interesting!  I experimented with bokashi a bit but somehow failed when I tried to make a batch of my own bran. Does the whey recipe work as well as EM for fairly odorless anaerobic composting?  I might give it another go if you had good results.   

Yes, most of the EM stuff is lacto-bacilli anyway with a few others thrown in for good measure. I start by draining the whey from a quart container of Stonyfield farms plain yogurt.  I am a fan of their 6 cultures...  what ever the yield is I add an equal amount of blackstrap molasses and 6 parts warm water in a gallon jug (plastic dressing jug rescued from restaurant) and swirl it every day for 10 -15 days, it gets that pickly smell.  Once thats done I then do it again.. my finished ferment is 1 part so I add 1 part molasses and 6 parts water and used that to moisten as much of a 50 lb bag of wheat bran (from the local CHAAR) I mix it in a large heavy grade trash bag.  Once its wet and mixed I squeeze as much water out as possible, double bag it, twist it tight and store it out of the way for almost three weeks, I am never in a hurry and the longer it goes the better the innoculation.  I smoosh it around once in a while and flip the bag so any loose liquid filters back through the solids.  Make sure you bran is MOIST.. dry areas will not "innoculate" and when finally dried you'll just be spreading bran on garbage.  It will also develope the pickly smell as well!!  Then I dry it on a hot day on a tarp.  Store it in 5 gallons buckets (rescued from the restaurant again)  I have really had amazing results using the tea on the backyard...I bury the fermented stuff all over the back yard.. again  amazing results..I mean its no findhorn but it does a garden good!

tvanhorne said:

Joe, interesting!  I experimented with bokashi a bit but somehow failed when I tried to make a batch of my own bran. Does the whey recipe work as well as EM for fairly odorless anaerobic composting?  I might give it another go if you had good results.   

Awesome, thanks.  I:ll give it another try this summer.  I make kefir, so I'll use that whey.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2020   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library