HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

The following 101 in 13 photos comes from HOMEGROWN member Anne, the kitchen scientist, organivore, urban homesteading neophyte, throwback foodie, tinkerer, keeper of cookies, and, yep, mom behind Food Retro. You might remember Anne from her excellent 101s on making pectin and how to build your own self-watering container. Thanks so much, Anne, and please keep the good ideas growing!

Note: If you don't see the gif doing its thing below, click here for the animated version.

WHILE THAT'S PRETTY SELF-EXPLANATORY, A FEW MORE DETAILS FROM ANNE:

• A note that, with this method, you’re leaving the onion bulbs alone and eating the green tops.

• When regrowing onions inside, be sure to use water free of chlorine and keep the water level in your container very low to prevent the onion bulb from rotting and scum forming. Roots need air, too!

• Onions need a little light for photosynthesis, although they do fine in mostly shade, so a windowsill works.

• They also need the occasional light nutrient feeding. The more you cut them, the more food they may need. If you harvest the tops of your green onions frequently, I recommend a couple drops of well-diluted 4-1-1 fish fertilizer or the equivalent in the water every few weeks.

• How long your onions last will depend on many factors, but I’ve kept some in a cup through the winter, planted them in spring, and harvested them in the fall! Through the winter, I’d trim them whenever I needed them or when they were getting overlong—probably a couple of times a month, tops, so maybe two to three weeks in between shearings. If I didn’t use the trimmed bits right away, I’d freeze them, leaving the rest behind to grow again. (Those are Anne's scallions, pictured at left, that spent the winter in a jar, then went into the ground to grow some more, then got harvested. The two on the right are a whopping ten months old.)

SPEAK UP!

Got a question for Anne? Or a tip on regrowing? Post it below and keep the conversation rolling. You might also be interested in 101s on harvesting herbs (including which and when to move inside), growing garlic, and container gardening, in addition to Anne’s 101s on making pectin and building a self-watering container. You can always find more things to cook, preserve, make, craft, cook, plant, grow, and regrow in the HOMEGROWN 101 library.

ALL PHOTOS: ANNE RADCLIFFE/FOOD RETRO

Views: 963

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love to do this with onions. I also regrow the green bunching onions. It is easy to do in a window sill. Once I cut them back to within a few inches of the bulb, I then put the bulbs in a wide mouth pint jar. Just add enough good water to cover the white part of the bulbs. Within a day or so, you will see new green growth start coming up from the bulb. Just cut off the tops as you need them. I have been able to reuse store bought green onions for about 6 weeks before I have to replace them. Doing this has saved me a nice chunk of change as I was buying them weekly.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2020   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library