HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

This is my new favorite snack, dried tomato slices! Take ripe tomatoes, slice them 1/4" or so thick.  I put a little salt, garlic powder, & oregano on the slices and put them in my homemade food dehydrator.  Take them out when they become just a little crispy.  Store them in a large screw-top jar, or whatever.  Just keep the outside air out!  These things are so good!  Pop a dried slice in your mouth, and it first has the consistency of chewing gum, but then it quickly softens and your mouth explodes with this wonderful tomato taste!  We also put them on a pizza the other night we made at home, WOW!  Can be used in any similar way you would use store bought sun dried tomatoes.  By the way, store bought sun dried tomatoes don't ever seen any sun after they are picked from the vine.  This is such an easy way to store tomatoes for the winter time.

Views: 165

Replies to This Discussion

They really are delicious aren't they? And as mouth-poppers? Oh yes!! I also like small zucchini rounds -- they are very sweet to me. Never tried to salt them but may do that before our season ends this year.
That is so funny that you posted this. I was just looking it up yesterday. Thanks. I have a question. How did you make a food dehydrator. I have been looking for one, but not found one I really like. Right now I am just using my oven. Can't wait to try the tomatoes. I'm a snacker and trying to find healthier things to crunch on during the day.
Go to food preservation on this site nd I have pictures of a dehydrator I built from scrtch.

Ozlem Alcin-Jennings said:
That is so funny that you posted this. I was just looking it up yesterday. Thanks. I have a question. How did you make a food dehydrator. I have been looking for one, but not found one I really like. Right now I am just using my oven. Can't wait to try the tomatoes. I'm a snacker and trying to find healthier things to crunch on during the day.
This year my cherry tomatoes were the best tomatoes I have ever eaten in my life. I was popping them like candy. Dehydrated the abundance & mmmm mmmm. I have to be careful not to over do it because I can't eat just one :-)

I saved seeds & propagated some cuttings to put in my indoor hydroponics unit for winter. So far, they are looking great & beginning to put on fruit.
Have you ever tried squash chips?  They are wonderful with dips.  Nothing to it buy drying them to a crisp and storing in a jar.  Simple, easy, and healthy for you.  I also use them in soups, etc.
I did several bushels of tomatoes, mostly romas, two years ago, and vac sealed them.  They have held beautifully.  I use a brake bleeder and mason jar attachment, and although I have several food savers, the bleeder is what I reach for.  I like controlling the vacuum, and it is the perfect way to store dried goods.  The squash chips are awesome,too. 

I have friends with expensive dehydrators.  I am using several harvest masters picked up for a few dollars at sales.  I have a total of thirty trays, and can do a good amount at one time.  It works out well, and cost almost nothing!  :)
Ozlem Alcin-Jennings said:

Just found your tip Paul.  Since it looks like I might have an abundance of tomatoes this year (unless we continue to make and eat bowls of salsa everyday!), I will try this.  In the past, I have simply chopped up my extra ripe tomatoes and popped them into freezer bags, 1 cup in each.  Added to homemade chile in the winter they add a fresh taste!

I use my dehydrators (I have 2) to dry my chili's (Jalpeno and Thai) each year.  Then I grind up the dried chili's into homemade chili powder (I separate green from red).  Makes a nice hot addition to many things over the next year.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2020   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library