HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

In the past, I've always bought starts. This year, at our new place, I thought I'd try seed.  Not ONE seed germinated. I planted them in mid-May, along with other herbs, which have all come up wonderfully. I don't understand what happened? Did I plant them too late in the season (I know onion types like cool weather)? I'm perplexed. They were packaged for this year, and from a very reliable grower (from which I got all my other seed which is doing well).

Views: 3072

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Carrie:
That would perplex me too as chives are some of the easiest herbs to grow.  Since you are from Michigan you planted them at the right time (Mid to late spring) opposed to people in the Gulf south who generally plant them after the first frost in the fall.  Chives like a sunny spot with well drained soil with a pH of between 6 and 7 and should be kept moist.  The downside to growing from seed instead of plants is that it generally takes about a year to raise a clump large enough to use. I would mention it to the grower and definitely try again ... you may have gotten an old packet of seeds and the grower may be willing to replace it.

Hmm... I dunno. Yeah, I'll mention it to the company and see what they say. Thanks!

I've been reading blogs  from West coat to East coast and many gardener's are experiencing late germination or no germination due to cooler weather conditions. Your day time temps are just as important as your night time temps.  I also seeded chives in early spring and they failed to germinate. I reseeded later and they are now about 2.5 inches high. I got the idea from a garden book to not plant all my seeds at once but to space them out at 3 different times. I also found out that it is important to keep a garden journal of this activity. It really helps from year to year.  Another thing that is also a great help is to join a local garden club, get to know your gardening neighbor's (I got a very interesting Chive from a Korean neighbor who likes them hot) and visit your local Farmer's Market for plant starts. Many gardener's are willing to share starts from their own gardens  and plants grown & acclimated in your area tend to be in much better health and transplant easier. Good Luck!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2021   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library